Friday, October 29, 2010
A Missionary!
Every Wednesday, I am blessed to not have a single class. It is a beautiful time and very happy. I enjoy going to the temple early in the morning, coming home, and sleeping the day away. It's great.
But this last Wednesday (the 27th of October) was a little bit different.
I went home. To Vernal. In the snow and wet.
I went home to see my brother. Why? Because he was going to get his mission call.
I know what you're thinking: "What the heck?! Taylor is old enough to be serving a mission?!?" Trust me, I feel the same shock that you do. Mostly because if HE is old enough to serve a mission that means I'm...well...really really old.
So I drove three hours on wet roads and got my car filthy dirty just so I could watch my brother open an envelope. I know. I'm crazy. But that's love, right? Appropriate sibling love, I mean. Of course.
I got home early in the afternoon and did a few things (visited Sunburst & my lovely family there, went to lunch w/ my sister, got my eyes checked) and then settled down to wait for the call to come.
About four o'clock, the mail still hadn't come. My sisters and mom started freaking out about it not coming. Dad called and said he had heard from a very reliable source (the mail man's wife) that the call was on its way. Then mom started freaking out more. It was really entertaining.
To pass the time, Larissa printed a couple of maps off of the internet and we started making guess as to where we thought he would go. Each family member got to make a guess in the U.S. and outside. The maps looked something like this:
Yup. The beautiful envelope arrived.
We all felt the package trying to decide if there was a big packet inside or not. Larissa said yes, Dad said no. I had no clue.
Then we settled down to wait for Taylor to get home from work.
He finally walked through the door and the first thing Megan does is hand him the call, so of course he takes off to his bedroom! We were so mad.
He saunters out with a big grin on his face. I told him I had driven three hours to watch him open that stupid envelope and if he had done it without me, I would never ever forgive him.
He grinned at me.
Finally we found the call and got him in the family room to open it for us. Dad pulled out his phone and video taped the whole thing. It was stressful. Taylor thinks he funny. But he isn't. He just likes attention.
It was good fun. Very spiritual despite the yelling that went on trying to get Taylor to stop skipping around the call: "You have been called to serve in the... ...You are to report to the Provo MTC..." ARGH! Much frustration. But very spiritual. It was incredible.
Taylor then said he couldn't pronounce it. Dad looked, and freaked out. So of course, all the girls went insane. It was so intense!
Taylor: "Ko-be?"
Dad: "Kobe."
Mom: "What...?"
Taylor: "Japan."
All: "NO WAY!!!" squeals, screams, 'oh my goodnesses' etc etc etc
It was incredible.
That's right. My brother is going to serve a mission in Japan. The Japan Kobe mission. Wow. I can't believe it. He is going to be amazing. He leaves January 26, 2011. I'm so excited. So so excited.
Of course the ONE and ONLY picture I ever get of him smiling... I'm not. *sigh* So goes life.
Congratulations Elder Pearson! You're going to be great out there! I love you!
Signing out.
Me.
PS. This is a great picture:
I LOVE MY FAMILY!
PPS. I am never driving to Vernal and back to Orem in the same day again. Ever.
But this last Wednesday (the 27th of October) was a little bit different.
I went home. To Vernal. In the snow and wet.
I went home to see my brother. Why? Because he was going to get his mission call.
I know what you're thinking: "What the heck?! Taylor is old enough to be serving a mission?!?" Trust me, I feel the same shock that you do. Mostly because if HE is old enough to serve a mission that means I'm...well...really really old.
So I drove three hours on wet roads and got my car filthy dirty just so I could watch my brother open an envelope. I know. I'm crazy. But that's love, right? Appropriate sibling love, I mean. Of course.
I got home early in the afternoon and did a few things (visited Sunburst & my lovely family there, went to lunch w/ my sister, got my eyes checked) and then settled down to wait for the call to come.
About four o'clock, the mail still hadn't come. My sisters and mom started freaking out about it not coming. Dad called and said he had heard from a very reliable source (the mail man's wife) that the call was on its way. Then mom started freaking out more. It was really entertaining.
To pass the time, Larissa printed a couple of maps off of the internet and we started making guess as to where we thought he would go. Each family member got to make a guess in the U.S. and outside. The maps looked something like this:
Now, you can't really see details, but the one on the left has all the states and our initials saying which we guessed and the one on the right has initials and the countries we guessed. The blacked-off area in the states? Well. Those are states that we decided were lame and so if he got called there, we would disown him (no offence to anyone that served there). Then we all guessed a spot within those loser states. Cuz we're losers.
About 5 pm, the mail man showed up at the door and knocked. I was busy and couldn't answer, so told the girls to get the door. They said no, and I said "It's Taylor's call! Get the door!" All of a sudden, there was a rush to the door. Poor mail man.
Yup. The beautiful envelope arrived.
We all felt the package trying to decide if there was a big packet inside or not. Larissa said yes, Dad said no. I had no clue.
Then we settled down to wait for Taylor to get home from work.
He finally walked through the door and the first thing Megan does is hand him the call, so of course he takes off to his bedroom! We were so mad.
He saunters out with a big grin on his face. I told him I had driven three hours to watch him open that stupid envelope and if he had done it without me, I would never ever forgive him.
He grinned at me.
Finally we found the call and got him in the family room to open it for us. Dad pulled out his phone and video taped the whole thing. It was stressful. Taylor thinks he funny. But he isn't. He just likes attention.
It was good fun. Very spiritual despite the yelling that went on trying to get Taylor to stop skipping around the call: "You have been called to serve in the... ...You are to report to the Provo MTC..." ARGH! Much frustration. But very spiritual. It was incredible.
Taylor then said he couldn't pronounce it. Dad looked, and freaked out. So of course, all the girls went insane. It was so intense!
Taylor: "Ko-be?"
Dad: "Kobe."
Mom: "What...?"
Taylor: "Japan."
All: "NO WAY!!!" squeals, screams, 'oh my goodnesses' etc etc etc
It was incredible.
That's right. My brother is going to serve a mission in Japan. The Japan Kobe mission. Wow. I can't believe it. He is going to be amazing. He leaves January 26, 2011. I'm so excited. So so excited.
Of course the ONE and ONLY picture I ever get of him smiling... I'm not. *sigh* So goes life.
Congratulations Elder Pearson! You're going to be great out there! I love you!
Signing out.
Me.
PS. This is a great picture:
I LOVE MY FAMILY!
PPS. I am never driving to Vernal and back to Orem in the same day again. Ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Nashelle
- I am a wife, sister, daughter, friend. Dancer, actor, singer, pianist. Reader, sleeper, cross-stitcher, photographer. I am Nashelle and on this blog you will see me doing what I love to do best - being me!
Lists of Ten
Blog Archive
Followers
Powered by Blogger.
4 comments:
Hey Nashelle... Nathan served in Tokyo, Japan and just loved it. But now he loves fish, sushi, and other very yucky things. It'll be an adventure!
That's so awesome! He's going to be a great missionary! And BA HA! You're old! So there!
Adrienne - what part of Tokyo did Nathan serve in? North or South? My dad served in Tokyo. As did Katie Palmer's dad, at the same time. Our dads have a district (I think) picture together. Crazy!
Katie - You're older. ;o)
Nathan was called to Tokyo North but then while he was there they merged the mission to just be "Tokyo" and not divided anymore. He served in '06-'08. Nathan says the Kobe Mission is in mafia central (almost like their headquarters) so rumor has it the church pays the mafia to protect the mission home. Taylor can handle the mafia:) Nathan says not to tell your mom about that in case she freaks out.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.