Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nerd Alert!

It's true. I'm a nerd. And if you haven't figured that out yet... well... maybe you should read some more. Ha.

But really. My math and music classes lately have been reminding me just how nerdy I am. It's ridiculous. Mostly because it's reminding me of some very interesting situations I was in as a wee child in elementary school. It's entertaining for my brain - and moderately embarrassing, too. So of course, I had to share it with the world through blogger. I mean, it's only natural, right?

As a child, I grew up thinking I was smarter than everyone else. Or at least, I was trying to be smarter than everyone else. This was brought about by the fact that I never had any homework and school was very very easy for me. All the time. Until 9th grade, anyway, when I got my first A- and it devastated my soul. I even did make-up work and the teacher gave me an A-. I would have hated him, but I couldn't cuz he was in my ward. I just sulked for a long long time.

During school I remember vividly that I was always sitting quietly - doing my work and getting ahead of my chatty and question-asking classmates. I never asked questions. I never studied. I aced all my tests and got perfect scores on my homework. I felt good about myself all the time, without really realizing it. I just knew I wanted to be best in the class. Sadly, I usually ended up third. There was one girl in my classes that I could never quite catch. We either got the same score, or she got one more than me. It was terrible. My goal in life was to have higher scores than her, be faster at doing my work than her, and read higher-level reading books than her. Pathetic, right? But it kept me motivated. To a point, at least.

I never was outwardly rude or bossy or snotty or smart-alecky. I was the nerd that sits quietly in the back with a few weird friends that gets all the answers right and sometimes gets to grade others' papers as a reward for doing so well. (that was my favorite - and how I knew I wanted to be a teacher: I enjoyed grading papers. scary.) I was very shy, very quiet, and very smart. I simplified fractions for fun. Seriously. And alphabetized all the family movies (for fun) over the weekend. Double seriously.

Anyway. I tell you all this because I feel like my Math and Music classes are ridiculously easy right now. I'm still learning a lot, but I also skip ahead of my group during work time because I understand it and feel they are making it too complicated. So I jump ahead. At the beginning of the semester, I was more outgoing and was (trying) to make friends. Now it's back to the way it was in elementary school: I sit quiety and get ahead on my coursework so I don't have any homework that night. It's kind of scary. But I'm doing well. I know that for a fact. It's just weird to have so many deja vu moments of similar things we learned in elementary school and how I aced it then. So why wouldn't I ace it now?

The plus side is that college has been kicking my butt lately, so it's nice to have a couple of "easy" classes where I actually undertand what is going on. Hopefully they stay easy. Though I doubt it.

Rant of the nerd is finished.

Signing out.
Me.

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Nashelle
I am a wife, sister, daughter, friend. Dancer, actor, singer, pianist. Reader, sleeper, cross-stitcher, photographer. I am Nashelle and on this blog you will see me doing what I love to do best - being me!
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.